Bake some butter-scented homemade bread today. Melted butter added just after coming out of the oven gives this loaf its golden color and adds a bit of crunchiness to the top.
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
2 teaspoons salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- Grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 10 minutes.
- Add sugar, shortening, salt and 1 cup flour. Beat on low speed with electric mixer, scraping bowl constantly, for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, for 2 more minutes. Stir in remaining flour; mix until smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl; cover and let rise in a warm place until almost double, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Stir down the batter by beating about 25 times. Smooth and pat batter into prepared loaf pan. Cover and let rise again until double, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake bread until browned, about 40 to 45 minutes. Brush top with melted butter; remove loaf from pan and cool on wire rack.
Makes 1 loaf.