No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread
Freshly made wheat bread with a buttery top demands that you have plenty of jam on hand.
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- Grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Using a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand 10 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, shortening, salt and wheat flour. Beat on low speed with electric mixer, scraping the bowl constantly, for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed, scraping the bowl occasionally, for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in white flour until smooth. Scrape batter from sides of bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost double, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Stir down batter by beating it about 25 times. Smooth and pat into prepared loaf pan. Cover and let rise again until double, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Brush top of loaf with melted butter; bake until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped, about 45 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.
Makes 1 loaf.