Oat Chocolate Chip Streusel Muffins
Irresistible oat muffins loaded with chocolate chips and a cocoa streusel topping.
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or grease bottoms only with vegetable shortening.
- For Streusel: In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients, mixing well. Set aside.
- For Muffins: In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, chocolate chips, baking powder, baking soda and salt, mixing well.
- In medium bowl, combine buttermilk, honey, oil and egg; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)
- Fill muffin cups three fourths full. Sprinkle with reserved streusel, patting gently.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Serve warm.
Makes 12 muffins.
Tip: No buttermilk on hand? Substitute with soured milk: Place 2 teaspoons white vinegar in a glass measuring cup and add milk to measure 2/3 cup. Let set for a minute or two, then proceed with recipe.