Oat Streusel Muffins
Enjoy these oat muffins, topped with a crunchy oat streusel, for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
1/3 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Line twelve medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or grease bottoms only with vegetable shortening.
- For Streusel: In a small bowl, combine oats, flour and brown sugar, mixing well. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- For Muffins: In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, granulated sugar and baking powder, mixing well.
- In small bowl, combine milk, oil, egg and vanilla; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)
- Fill muffin cups three fourths full. Sprinkle with reserved streusel, patting gently.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Serve warm.
Makes 12 muffins.