Oatmeal Dinner Rolls
These hearty, tender oatmeal yeast rolls have a nice bite.
2 cups water
1 cup quick-cooking oats
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoons
1/2 cup warm water (100°F to 110°F | 40°C to 45°C)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in oats and butter. Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat; let cool to 110°F (45°C).
- Stir together yeast, 1/2 cup warm water, and 1 tablespoon sugar in a 2-cup measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- Beat oat mixture, yeast mixture, flour, salt, and brown sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F / 30°C), free from drafts, 1 hour or until dough is doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down, and divide in half; shape each portion into 16 (1 1/2-inch) balls. Place evenly into 2 lightly greased 9-inch round cake pans.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F / 30°C), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 32 dinner rolls.