Cardamom-scented, oatmeal muffins with a great, crunchy oat streusel topping.
2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted (or vegetable oil)
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- For muffins, combine oats, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cardamom in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine melted butter, egg and buttermilk, mixing well. Add flour mixture, stirring only until just moistened.
- In a small bowl combine topping ingredients, mixing well.
- Fill prepared muffin tin two-thirds full. Sprinkle topping mixture over muffins. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan on wire rack.
Makes 12 muffins.