Enjoy these tender, orange-scented oatmeal scones with a cup of your favorite hot, fragrant tea.
3 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup currents
2 tablespoons orange zest, finely chopped
3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix at low speed until the butter is the size of small peas. (Or use a pastry cutter, or the tips of your fingers.)
- Add the 3 cup oats, currants, and chopped orange zest. Continue to mix, slowly pouring in the buttermilk, just until the dough comes together.
- Put the dough on a lightly floured board and roll it out into a 3/4-inch-thick circle. Cut the dough into 10 circles, each 3 1/2-inches in diameter.
- Put the scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake them for approximately 20 minutes, until golden brown.
Makes 10 scones.