Orange-Scented Oat & Dried Cherry Muffins
The subtle taste of orange and re-hydrated, sweet-tart dried cherries make these tender oatmeal muffins a winner in both taste and texture. Serve these scrumptious muffins for breakfast, brunch or anytime snacking.
1/2 cup dried cherries
Very hot water, as needed
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
Zest of 1 medium orange
Turbinado or coarse sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Place dried cherries in a small bowl, add enough hot water to cover; allow cherries to soak until slightly plumped and softened, about 15 minutes. Drain well before using.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Line twelve medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or grease with vegetable shortening.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, oats, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In small bowl, combine milk, oil, egg, almond or vanilla extract and orange zest; blend well, stir in the well-drained cherries. Add to the flour/oat mixture, stir just until ingredients are combined (do not overmix).
- Fill prepared muffin cups three fourths full. Sprinkle tops with turbinado sugar, if using.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until light, golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Serve warm or room temperature.
Makes 12 muffins.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 muffin): Calories 216.91; Total Fat 6.49g; Sodium 215.81mg; Potassium 109.32mg; Total Carbohydrates 35.21g; Fiber 2.15g; Sugar 9.43g; Protein 5.17g.