Orange Buttermilk Scones
These citrus-scented, currant-laced scones can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch or afternoon tea.
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 cup dried currants
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 egg yolk, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, orange peel, salt and baking soda. With a pastry blender, cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine buttermilk, currants, whole egg and orange extract in a small bowl and mix well. Pour into dry mixture and stir until just blended.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and shape into two 6-inch rounds. Cut each into 8 sections and place on 2 ungreased baking sheets. Lightly brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes 16 scones.