Orange Scones with Whipped Cream & Marmalade
Serve these tender orange scones warm with whipped cream and orange or lime marmalade.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
2 large eggs
1/4 cup currants
1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
1/2 cup orange or lime marmalade
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Combine flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt in a large bowl. With a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- In a small bowl. whisk milk, orange juice and one of the eggs until thoroughly combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture. Slowly pour wet ingredients into center of well, stirring gently with a fork until a dough forms. Mix in currants and orange peel.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured board. Knead lightly until just smooth (do not over-knead). Divide dough into 2 balls. Roll one out into a 3/4-inch thick circle. Cut into 6 wedges. Place on prepared baking sheet, so that they're just touching. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Beat remaining egg. Brush scones with egg. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until browned on top.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and marmalade.
Makes 12 scones.