Orange Scones with Fresh Fruit and Lemon Cream
Serve these tender orange scones warm with whipped cream and orange or lime marmalade.
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
Milk for brushing tops
Granulated sugar for sprinkling
1 cup sour cream
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup commercially prepared lemon curd
Fresh fruit or berries, for accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease baking sheets.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Stir in buttermilk and orange peel with a fork just until all dry ingredients are moistened.
- Knead 2 or 3 times on floured surface. Gently pat or roll to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut with 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter; place on prepared baking sheets. Brush tops with milk; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with fresh fruit and Lemon Cream.
- For Lemon Cream: combine 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup whipping cream, and 1 cup lemon curd in medium bowl; whisk to blend. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Makes 18 scones.