Orange Tea Bread
Enjoy a slice or two of this delicious, incredibly moist orange tea bread with a hot cup of latté or tea.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup plain yogurt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1/2 cup Florida Orange Juice
1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 5/8-inch non-stick loaf pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together yogurt, sugar, eggs, butter and orange zest. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients, and stir mixture until well combined.
- Transfer batter to loaf pan, smoothing top, and bake in oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until skewer inserted in middle comes out clean.
- While the bread is baking, combine orange juice and sugar in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over moderate heat while stirring, and simmer for 1 minute. Keep syrup warm.
- Make holes in top of bread with a thin wooden skewer and brush top with syrup. Let stand in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto rack. Poke holes in bottom and sides of bread with skewer, and brush with remaining syrup. Let bread cool standing upright, and wrap in plastic and foil overnight.
Makes 1 loaf.
Recipe provided courtesy of The Florida Department of Citrus.