Peach Upside-Down Muffins
These sweet peach upside-down muffins are wonderful for brunch.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening, melted
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
6 peaches, sliced
- In a medium bowl blend together egg, milk and melted shortening. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Fold into egg mixture until just combined.
- Divide butter and brown sugar among 2 muffin tins. Heat in a 375°F (190°C) oven until melted about 5 minutes.
- Arrange sliced peaches in muffin cups over melted butter/sugar mixture and spoon the batter on top.
- Bake for additional 25 minutes or until center is set. Remove from oven. Invert onto a wire rack; let cool.
Makes 12 muffins.