Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
This recipe puts a spin on the classic combination of peanut butter and bananas. Topped with chopped peanuts, these muffins make a wonderful treat!
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1⁄3 cup peanut butter
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup very ripe mashed bananas, about 2 large
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1⁄3 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly spray or grease 12 muffin tins.
- In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in peanut butter. Pour into a large bowl to cool.
- In a medium bowl, place flours, baking powder, cinnamon and baking soda. Whisk together ensuring there are no lumps.
- Stir sugar into cooled peanut butter mixture. Then stir in eggs until completely blended. Stir in bananas and vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Spoon into muffin tins. Sprinkle with peanuts, gently pushing into batter.
- Bake in center of preheated oven until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 16 to 18 minutes. Remove muffins from pan to a rack to cool.
Makes 12 muffins.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 335; Protein: 8 g; Total Fat: 15 g total fat (6 g saturated fat, 0.4 g trans fat, 3 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat); Carbohydrates: 45 g; Cholesterol: 51 mg; Fiber: 3 g; Sugars: 16 g; Sodium: 128 mg; Potassium: 160 mg; Calcium (2 % DV): 18 mg; Iron (14 % DV): 2 mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Peanut Council.