Pecan Cranberry Muffins
Lemon-scented muffins laden with fresh chopped cranberries and pecans.
1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup granulated sugar - divided use
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- In a bowl, toss cranberries with 1/4 cup sugar; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and milk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened; do not over mix. Fold in pecans, lemon peel and cranberries.
- Fill prepared muffin tin two-thirds full.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan on wire rack.
Makes 12 muffins.