Pecan Pumpkin Bran Muffins
Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.
1 cup bran cereal
1 1/4 cup non-fat buttermilk
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 large egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix
1/4 cup pecan pieces
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Lightly coat a 12-section muffin tin with canola cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the bran and buttermilk, stir until moistened and let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the flour, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Stir until well blended.
- To bran mixture, add the canola oil, egg whites, vanilla, and pumpkin. Stir until well blended. Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture and stir until JUST blended. Do NOT over-mix.
- Spoon equal amounts of batter into the muffin tin. Sprinkle pecan pieces evenly over all.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over the tops and bake 15 minutes or until wooden pick inserted comes out almost clean.
- Let stand in muffin tins on cooling rack 5 minutes before carefully removing and cooling completely on rack.
Makes 12 muffins.
Tip: To maximize freshness store muffins covered in refrigerator or freeze.
Note: Allowing the muffins to stand in tins for a few minutes, continues to cook the muffins without drying them out. Each muffin contains 70% of your daily allowance of Vitamin A and 3 grams of fiber!
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 140; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Total Carbs: 24g; Fiber: 3g; Sodium: 290mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.