Recipe courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.
3 large eggs
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Beat eggs in mixer bowl on medium speed until foamy. Beat in milk and butter. Reduce speed to low. Add flour and salt; beat until smooth, about 3 minutes
- Fill 12 greased popover pan cups 1/2 full with batter.
- Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven until puffed, well browned and firm, 35 to 40 minutes. (For crisper popovers, Pierce side of each popover with tip of knife and bake 3 to 6 minutes longer.) Loosen edges with knife, if necessary. Serve immediately.
Makes 12 popovers.
For Herbed Popovers: Add 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil leaves, dill weed and dried thyme leaves to batter when adding flour.
For Sweet Popovers: Add a spice or grated citrus peel to batter. Serve with preserves or honey.
- A muffin pan or 6 ounce custard cups can be substituted for a popover pan. Place custard cups on a baking sheet.
- Steam makes popovers rise during baking, but it will also make them soggy inside if not released. Piercing popovers when they are almost done allows the steam to escape. A few more minutes in the oven helps crisp them up. Pierce the side or top with tip of a thin knife or wooden pick.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 83; Total Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 60mg; Total Carbs: 9g; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 3g; Sodium: 123mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.