Potato Refrigerator Rolls
These homemade potato dinner rolls, hot from the oven, can't be beat.
1 cup unseasoned mashed potato
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoons
1/2 cup warm water
8 cups all-purpose or bread flour
1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a bowl, combine mashed potatoes, shortening, sugar, salt, eggs, and scalded milk.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and add to the potato mixture. Beat in flour to make a stiff dough; kneading well. Place in a large bowl and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Knead the dough briefly. Brush the top with melted butter and refrigerate until ready to bake, at least 1 hour.
- Shape into rolls and let rise about 1 1/2 hours.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 15 to 20 minutes.
Makes 12 dinner rolls.