Quick Batter Mix Rolls
Bake these homemade rolls to a golden brown and enjoy them fresh out of the oven with some butter and jam. This is a handy recipe to have on hand during the holiday season.
3 1/4 cups all-purpose or bread flour
1/3 cup powdered milk
2 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, melted
- Grease 2 standard 12-cup muffin pans; set aside.
- Combine flour, powdered milk, sugar, yeast, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl; make a well in middle of flour mixture. Pour in water (105°F to 115°F | 40°C to 45°C) and shortening; gently whisk until completely mixed.
- Spoon dough, about 2/3 cup full, into prepared pans; set pans in warm draft-free spot, cover and let rise for 20 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Uncover rolls and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 24 dinner rolls.