Raised Cornmeal Muffins
The yeast makes this muffin more airy than normal cornbread. Try adding a can of drained corn or diced chile peppers for a southwestern flavor.
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1/4 cup warm water
2 cups scalded milk
1 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 large eggs
4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Soften yeast in warm water.
- Combine cornmeal, salt, sugar, and shortening. Add milk and let cool to lukewarm.
- Beat in eggs and 2 cups of the flour. Add softened yeast mixture, mixing well. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a heavy batter. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Stir batter down and spoon into greased muffin tins.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425°F (220°C) for 20 minutes, or until brown.
Makes 24 muffins.