Rhubarb, Ginger and Lemon Bread Twist
A sweet yeast bread with an incredible flavor combination of rhubarb, fresh ginger and lemon peel.
1 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup water
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoons
4 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
- Toss rhubarb with sugar. Sauté in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Combine water, 1/4 cup milk and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until butter melts and temperature reaches somewhere between 105°F to 115°F (40°C to 45°C).
- Place in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle yeast over the top and let sit for 2 minutes; mixture should begin to bubble.
- Add flour, brown sugar, lemon zest, ginger and salt to bowl. Stir until a dough is formed (by hand or with dough hook attachment for electric mixer). Transfer to a clean, lightly oiled bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- After dough has risen, gently fold or knead in cooked rhubarb. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and cut dough in half. Roll each piece into a cylinder 12 to 14 inches long. Pinch the cylinders together at one end and shape into a twist.
- Lightly butter a baking sheet and dust with flour. Place bread on sheet, cover and let rise for 40 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and remaining milk. Carefully brush loaf with egg wash.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Bottom of loaf should sound hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 1 loaf.
To make bread in a bread machine: Prepare rhubarb as directed above. Combine all of the ingredients, except rhubarb, lemon zest, ginger and egg wash, in the bread pan in the order specified by the manufacturer's instructions. You will not use the egg wash. Process on the sweet or raisin bread setting. Add rhubarb, lemon zest and ginger at the beep.
To prepare dough in a bread machine: Prepare rhubarb as directed above. Combine all of the ingredients, except rhubarb, lemon zest, ginger and egg wash, in the bread pan in the order specified by the manufacturer's instructions. Process on the dough setting. When cycle is complete, turn dough out onto a well-floured work surface. Add rhubarb, lemon zest and ginger at this point and continue with regular recipe.