Robert's Bread Machine Bagels
A little cream cheese and you've got breakfast or a snack on the go, some ham or tuna salad and you've got a delicious lunch or quick dinner. Egg sandwiches! Open-faced cheese and tomato rounds! Hummus and sprouts! Bagel pizzas! The list is endless!
2 3/4 cups bread flour
3 cups water, divided use
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 (0.25-ounce) package quick rise yeast
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Put flour, 1 cup of the water, wheat flour, brown sugar, salt and yeast into a bread maker and set on dough cycle. Allow it to run until the end of the first rise, about 30 minutes.
- Grease a cookie sheet; set aside.
- Take dough out of bread maker and cut into 8 equal portions. Shape into bagels by forming balls and poking your finger through the middle. Place on the cookie sheet and allow to rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 550°F (285°C).
- Fill a skillet with about 2 inches of water (remaining 2 cups) and 2 tablespoons of sugar; bring to a boil. Place three or four bagels in boiling water for 30 seconds on each side. Drain on paper towel for about 1 minute. Repeat with remaining bagels.
- Put a few ice cubes in a casserole dish and place it in the oven to create steam.
- Return bagels to cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Allow to cool on baking rack for 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 bagels.