Rosemary-Kalamata Olive Scones
Savory, rosemary-scented scones with kalamata olives.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup half-and-half or light cream or milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup Kalamata or ripe olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, rosemary, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl; mix well. Add to dry ingredents and mix just until moistened.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead 8 to 10 times. Pat dough into 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges; place wedges on cookie sheet.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.
Makes 8 scones.