Glazed, tender buttermilk scones, flavored with crystallized ginger and laced with maraschino cherries and coconut.
1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 teaspoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
1 cup confectioners' (powdered) sugar
- Drain cherries, reserving 2 tablespoons juice. Cut cherries into quarters; set aside.
- combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat together egg and buttermilk. Add egg mixture, coconut, ginger and drained cherries to flour mixture, stirring with a fork only until combined.
- Knead on a floured surface 12 times. Pat or roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut dough into 8 pieces, using a floured, 4-inch round biscuit cutter. Place rounds on an ungreased baking sheet. Using a sharp, floured, knife, cut each scone into four wedges. Do not separate.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F (205°C) oven 10 to 12 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and reserved 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice; mix well. Drizzle glaze over hot scones. Serve warm.
Makes 8 scones.
Recipe and photograph are provided courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.