Skillet Blueberry Corn Bread
An enticing savory corn bread studded with crumbled bacon and sweet blueberries.
6 strips bacon, fried until crisp, crumbled
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup melted vegetable shortening, cooled slightly
3 cups fresh or frozen and slightly thawed blueberries
Butter for accompaniment
- Fry bacon in 9-inch skillet until crisp; remove from skillet and crumble. Drain all but about 1 tablespoon drippings from skillet and set skillet aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar and baking powder; make a well in center and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and shortening. Pour liquid mixture into well of dry mixture and stir to blend well.
- Pour batter into the reserved 9-inch skillet. Evenly sprinkle the blueberries and reserved crumbled bacon on top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cut into 8 wedges. Serve warm with butter.
Makes 8 servings.