Skillet Pizza Crusts
These quick pizza crusts are done right on the stove top, perfect for quick meals on busy nights.
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
3/4 cup warm water
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup warm water
- Combine yeast, sugar and first addition of warm water (105° to 115°F / 40°C to 45°C) in a small bowl; let stand for 5 minutes or until yeast foams.
- Combine yeast mixture, flour, olive oil, salt and additional warm water (105° to 115°F | 40°C to 45°C); stir until well-blended. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead for 5 minutes.
- Grease a large bowl; place dough into bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with a tea towel; let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down and divide into 6 portions. Roll dough into 8-inch rounds on a lightly-floured board.
- Spray a large, heavy skillet with vegetable spray; place over medium heat. Cook rounds separately for about 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add toppings as desired; broil for a few minutes to melt cheeses or brown toppings, if desired.
Tip: Invite family and friends over for an old-time pizza pie party! Have the dough ready to cook and all the topping prepared ahead (this includes sautéing onions, peppers and mushrooms) and cooking bacon or sausage. Slice or grate cheeses (or buy them that way); slice tomatoes. Mix a crisp tossed salad and serve your favorite beverages. Let your guests bring dessert!