Soft Cinnamon and Sugar Pretzels
A sweet twist on the familiar pretzel, these soft and tender treats will quickly become a family favorite.
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (0.25-ounce) packet rapid-rising yeast
1 1/4 cups (110°F to 115°F | 45°C) warm water
4 1/2 cups plus extra for kneading all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dry NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Instant Nonfat Dry Milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted - divided use
- Grease 2 large baking sheets. Combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar and cinnamon in small bowl; set aside.
- Stir yeast into warm water in small bowl. Combine flour, dry milk, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and salt in large bowl. Add 1/2 cup butter and yeast mixture into flour mixture. Stir until blended and sticky dough is formed.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface; knead for 6 to 8 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic, adding additional flour as necessary. Cut into 24 pieces. While working with dough, keep covered with plastic wrap. Roll each piece into a 16-inch long rope. To form pretzels, make a U-shape with the rope. Holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U and place on prepared baking sheets. Press ends of pretzel into pretzel dough. Brush with remaining 1/4 cup butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Allow to rise in warm place for 15 minutes or until risen slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheets to wir racks. Serve warm. Store remaining tightly covered.
Makes 24 pretzels.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.