Sour Cream and Currant Scones
Enjoy these tender sour cream and currant scones with orange marmalade and a cup of tea.
1/2 cup dried currants
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter
1 large egg yolk
1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Pour hot water over currants to cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain well.
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Using a pastry blender cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles tiny crumbs. Form a well in center of mixture.
- Combine drained currants, egg yolk and sour cream together and pour into the center of the well in flour mixture. Stir mixture just until combined, dough will be sticky.
- Turn dough out onto floured work surface and knead several times. Form a ball and pat out to approximately 3/4-inch-thick, 6 to 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Place wedges on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or to a light golden brown. Serve warm.
Makes 8 scones.