Sour Cream Dill Bread
The aroma of homemade yeast bread baking in the oven has a comforting effect on the senses.
1 (.25-ounce) package active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1/2 cup warm water (110°F to 115°F | approximately 45°C)
1 cup sour cream
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/3 cup minced onion
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dill seed
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 to 3 cups flour - divided use
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Stir in remaining ingredients and 1 cup of flour. Beat until well-blended. Stir in enough flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Place in buttered bowl; turn once. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape into loaf. Place in buttered 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan or 6 miniature loaf pans.
- Let rise until almost doubled, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Makes 1 loaf.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.