Sourdough French Bread
Let the heavenly aroma of freshly baked bread permeate your kitchen. Adding sourdough starter will give your bread an added complexity of flavor.
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1/4 cup warm water
4 1/2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sourdough starter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a small bowl dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F | 40°C to 45°C); set aside.
- Sift together flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl and add 1 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F | 40°C to 45°C), milk, oil and sourdough starter. Stir in yeast and mix until dough forms. Knead lightly on floured surface and return to bowl. Cover with a clean dish towel and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Turn out onto a floured surface and divide the dough in half. Shape into oblongs and place on a greased baking sheet and let rise until doubled again, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Just before baking, make diagonal cuts on top of loaves with a sharp knife and brush lightly with water (for a crisp crust).
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden and bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
Makes 2 loaves.