A delicious, moist and flavorful cornbread made with mild green chiles, creamed corn and cheddar cheese.
1 cup white or yellow cornmeal (I prefer white)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
2 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or melted shortening, bacon fat or lard)
1 (8.25-ounce) can creamed corn (1 cup)
1 (4-ounce) can diced mild green chiles
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese - divided use
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Generously grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, oil and creamed corn. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared baking pan. Scatter the diced green chiles and 1 cup of cheese over the batter. Spread remaining batter on top and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until done.
Makes 12 servings.
*To make 2/3 cup sour milk, place 2 teaspoons white vinegar or lemon juice in a glass measuring cup and add enough milk to measure 2/3 cup. Let set for about 5 minutes before using.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): 254.2 calories; 53% calories from fat; 15.1g total fat; 50.6mg cholesterol; 491.1mg sodium; 114.8mg potassium; 22.8g carbohydrates; 1.6g fiber; 1.9g sugar; 21.2g net carbs; 7.5g protein.