Speedy Yeast Rolls
Homemade yeast rolls, from start to ready-to-eat in about 90 minutes or less!
4 1/2 cups all-purpose or bread flour - divided use
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoons
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and yeast in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Combine buttermilk, water, and butter in a small saucepan. Heat until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth. Add to the flour mixture and beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for 4 minutes. Gradually add remaining flour, mixing well.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead 5 to 8 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch the dough down and shape into 1 1/2-inch balls. Place on greased baking sheets, cover, and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes, or until doubled.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 15 to 20 minutes. Brush with melted butter.
Makes 12 dinner rolls.