Spicy Apple Muffins
Perfect with a cup of tea or as an after-school snack for the kids.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 apples, coarsely grated (peeled or not)
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Lightly spray muffin tins with cooking oil spray.
- In mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, allspice and salt. Mix to combine well.
- In separate large mixing bowl, beat egg until frothy. Stir in all remaining ingredients and blend well to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir gently until just combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, about 2/3 full, and bake for 20 minutes.
Makes 12 muffins.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 229; Total Fat: 10g; Total Carbs: 34g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 3g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of B.C. Tree Fruits Limited.