Stuffed Cheese Bread
1 (1-pound) loaf French baguette bread, 24 x 4-inches
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 (4-ounce) can mushrooms stems and pieces, well-drained and chopped
1 pound (4 cups) Wisconsin Swiss cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Slice bread at 1 1/2-inch intervals without cutting through the bottom crust. Cut the loaf lengthwise across the top, perpendicular to the other slices, again not slicing through the bottom loaf. Set aside.
- Mix the remaining ingredients, except the cheese, in a large mixing bowl. Stir in cheese.
- Spread the filling between the slices of bread.
- Wrap loaf in aluminum foil, sealing all ends, and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Serve warm.
Makes 16 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.