Sunflower Honey Bread
Treat your family to this hearty whole wheat bread, with sunflower kernels and a kiss of honey in every bite.
2 cups all-purpose or bread flour - divided use
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup sunflower kernels
1 teaspoon salt
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1 cup milk
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons honey - divided use
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 tablespoon wheat germ
- In a large bowl, mix 1 cup flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, sunflower kernels, salt, and yeast; set aside.
- In a saucepan over low heat, heat milk, water, 2 tablespoons honey, and butter until hot to the touch, about 125°F (55°C). Stir into the dry mixture adding 1 cup additional flour to make a stiff batter. The batter will be very stiff and sticky. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Stir vigorously about 1 minute; turn into a greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Cover, let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from pan and brush with remaining 1 tablespoon honey and sprinkle on 1 tablespoon wheat germ.
- This bread will slice more smoothly after cooling.
Makes 1 loaf.