Super Fruit Lime Muffins
Recipe courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.
1 cup frozen tart cherries
1 3/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons unbleached, all-purpose flour - divided use
3 tablespoons Splenda® White Sugar Blend for Baking
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup low-fat milk
1/4 cup refrigerated pasteurized egg product
4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 tablespoon finely shredded lime peel
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
2 to 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Coat a 12-muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Finely chop frozen cherries. Place chopped cherries in a small bowl and toss with 2 teaspoon all-purpose flour. Do not thaw frozen chopped cherries. Place cherries in freezer until needed.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, the Splenda®, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, stir together milk, egg product, butter, 1 tablespoon lime peel, and 1 tablespoon lime juice.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture and pour in milk mixture. Stir just until flour mixture is partially moistened. Add frozen chopped cherries and stir just until moistened. (Do not over mix.) Divide batter equally between the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake at 400°F (205°C) for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool muffins in pan for 5 minutes Remove muffins from pan and slightly cool on wire rack.
- For Glaze: In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon lime peel, and enough of the 2 to 4 teaspoons lime juice to make of desired drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle glaze over muffins and serve muffins slightly warm.
Makes 12 muffins.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 133; Total Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 29mg; Total Carbs: 21g; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 3g; Sodium: 134mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.