Sweet Potato Apple Muffins
Streusel-topped sweet potato muffins with bits of fresh apple in every bite.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained
1 large egg
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup finely chopped and peeled apple
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons finely chopped nuts
- For Muffins: Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 12-cup muffin tins or line with paper liners.
- In large mixing bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a large bowl, beat sweet potatoes until mashed. Add egg and beat until well blended and mixture is smooth. Stir in evaporated milk, vegetable oil and apples. Stir in flour mixture until just combined and moistened.
- For Topping: Combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle topping over muffin batter.
- Fill prepared muffin tin 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan on wire rack.
Makes 18 muffins.