Sweet Potato Bread
Delicious, tender and moist, spiced sweet potato bread laced with pecans.
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup egg substitute (or 4 large eggs)
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2/3 cup water
2 cups fresh sweet potatoes (yams), cooked and mashed or 2 (15-ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Combine sugar and oil; beat well. Add egg substitute and beat.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to egg mixture alternately with water.
- Stir in sweet potatoes and chopped pecans.
- Pour into three greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 1 hour. Will freeze well.
Makes 3 loaves or 36 (1/4-inch) slices.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/36 of recipe; without pecans): CAL 133; FAT 3.45g; PROTEIN 2.25g; CARB 23.7g; CHOL 0mg.
Recipe provided courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.