Sweet Potato Cinnamon Bread
Cinnamon-scented sweet potato bread loaded with chewy, plump golden raisins.
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 cup butter
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
1 1/2 cups golden raisins
4 tablespoons butter, softened
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Melted butter for topping
- In a small saucepan, scald milk. Add 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 cup butter, and salt. Stir until butter melts. Mix in sweet potatoes and cool to lukewarm.
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add milk mixture and 4 cups flour. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or until smooth. Stir in raisins. Gradually add remaining 3 1/2 cups flour, mixing until a stiff dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning dough in bowl to grease top. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto a lightly floured board. Divide into two equal portions and roll each into a 16 x 8-inch rectangle. Spread 2 tablespoons softened butter over each rectangle. Stir together remaining 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over each rectangle. Starting from the narrow side, roll up each rectangle and pinch edges and ends together. Tuck ends under slightly and place, seam-side down, in greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans. Brush tops with melted butter. Cover and let rise for 1 hour, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Remove bread immediately from pans and cool on a wire rack.
Makes 2 loaves, 16 slices per loaf.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): CAL 199 (21% from fat); FAT 5g; PROTEIN 4g; CARB 36g, CHOL 12mg; SODIUM 271mg; SATURATED FAT 3g; DIETARY FIBER 2g.
Recipe provided courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.