Sweet Potato Muffins
Start your day with one of these spiced, sweet potato and bran muffins with bits of fresh apple in every bite.
3/4 cup oat bran
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup apples, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup fresh sweet potatoes (yams), cooked and mashed or 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2/3 cup plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a bowl, combine bran, flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and apples.
- In another bowl combine sweet potatoes, egg, egg whites, oil, and yogurt. Add sweet potato mixture to flour mixure and stir ingredients together until just moistened.
- Spray muffin tins with vegetable cooking spray and spoon 1/4 cup of batter per muffin.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until done when wooden pick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
Makes 20 muffins.
Variation: Add 1 cup of raisins.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/20 of recipe): CAL 98 (24% from fat); FAT 3g; PROTEIN 4g; CARB 18g; CHOL 11mg; SODIUM 119mg.
Recipe provided courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.