Sweet Potato Muffins
Tender and moist, cinnamon-spiced sweet potato muffins with pineapple and crunchy toasted almonds.
1 3/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple
1/2 cup milk
1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
- Generously grease two (2-inch; 12-count) muffin pans. In medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- Drain pineapple well, reserving juices. In measuring cup, combine with milk to make 3/4 cup.
- In large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, butter, eggs, crushed pineapple and milk mixture. Blend well. Add dry ingredients and blend; stir in almonds.
- Fill prepared muffin pans 2/3 full.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm.
Makes 24 muffins.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/24 of recipe): Calories 206 kcal, Cholesterol 47 mg, Protein 5 gm, Potassium 173 mg, Fat 8 gm, Vitamin A 2,385 IU, Carbohydrates 29 gm, Vitamin C 4 mg, Calcium 107 mg.
Recipe courtesy of North Carolina Sweetpotato Commission.