Top of the Morning Muffins
Recipe courtesy of California Ripe Olives.
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1 cup (1/4-inch) diced red bell peppers
2/3 cup sliced green onions
1 cup California Ripe Olives, wedged
1 cup (4-ounce) grated cheddar cheese
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg, beaten
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Melt butter in a medium-sized sauté pan over medium heat. Add red peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft, stir in green onions, then pour into a medium-sized mixing bowl to cool.
- When peppers and green onions have cooled, mix in California Ripe Olives, cheese, buttermilk and eggs. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir California Ripe Olive mixture into dry mixture until just combined.
- Spoon batter into eight lightly greased standard (2 5/8-inch) muffin cups and bake for 25 to 28 minutes until lightly browned.
- Transfer muffin pan to cooling rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 muffins.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 297; Total Fat: 15g; Cholesterol: 63mg; Total Carbs: 31g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 9g; Sodium: 479mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Ripe Olives.