Vanilla Poppy-Seed Bread
A sweet vanilla-flavored quick bread speckled with poppy seeds.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons poppy seed
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk, at room temperature
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds in a large bowl until well blended.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs slightly. Stir in milk, butter, and vanilla. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- Turn batter into a greased and floured 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- Bake 60 to 70 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool bread 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool completely on rack.
Makes 1 loaf.