Warm Apple Almond Muffins
Serve these spiced applesauce and almond oat muffins warm from the oven for breakfast.
1 1/2 cups quick or old fashioned oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup applesauce
1/3 cup apple juice or milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or grease bottoms only with vegetable shortening.
- In large bowl, combine oats, flour, sugar, raisins, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, mixing well.
- In small bowl, combine applesauce, apple juice, egg, almond extract and oil, mixing well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)
- Fill muffin cups three fourths full. Sprinkle sliced almonds evenly over batter.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Serve warm.
Makes 12 muffins.