Whole Wheat-Yogurt Dinner Rolls
Wholesome, tender whole wheat dinner yeast rolls made with yogurt.
4 cups all-purpose or bread flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoons
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup warm water
3/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup butter, melted
- In a medium bowl sift together flour and whole wheat flour. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook milk just below the boiling point,when tiny bubbles just begin to appear around edges. Turn off heat.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water in a large bowl. Gradually add half flour mixture; mixing as you add. Pour in scaled milk; add eggs, salt, and yogurt; mix well. Add melted butter and the remaining flour. Do not knead. Chill, covered for 4 hours.
- Roll into 12-inch circles on a floured surface. Cut each into wedges and roll up from the wide end; shape into crescents. Place on a greased cookie sheets and let rise for 3 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F (205°C) oven for 15 minutes.
Makes 36 dinner rolls.