Wild Onion Bread
A sourdough yeast bread made with a biscuit baking mix and a dry onion soup mix.
1 (2.4-ounce) package dry onion soup mix
3/4 cup hot water
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons warm water
1 large egg
1 cup biscuit baking mix
1 cup sourdough starter mix
3 cups biscuit baking mix
- In a small bowl add dry onion soup mix to hot water; set aside.
- In large bowl, dissolve soften yeast and sugar with warm water. Pour soup mixture into the yeast mixture together with egg, 1 cup biscuit baking mix, and sourdough starter, beat until mixed. Stir in up to 3 cups biscuit baking mix to make a stiff dough.
- Place on a floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise for 2 hours.
- Shape into a round loaf, place on a greased baking sheet, cover and let rise again for 45 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 35 minutes.
Makes 1 loaf.