Kids love these sweet muffins and they are loaded with nutrition. Yam muffins can be a delicious treat year-round.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup skim milk
1 (15-ounce) can yams (sweet potatoes), drained and mashed or 1 cup fresh yams, cooked and mashed
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
1/3 cup orange juice
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In large bowl, combine together the flour, baking soda, powder, cinnamon, brown sugar and sugar, mixing well.
- In another bowl, combine together the milk, mashed yams, orange rind, orange juice, egg, egg white, oil and vanilla. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Spoon the batter into muffin pans lined with a paper cup or coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the muffins are done.
Makes 18 muffins.
Created by Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission spokesperson, Holly Clegg.
Recipe provided courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.