Apple Pie Pancake
Serve this delicious apple oven pancake in wedges drizzled with maple syrup and a dollop of whipped cream or sour cream.
3 to 4 tart green apples, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup butter
5 large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, freshly grated
- Maple syrup for accompaniment
- Slightly sweetened whipped cream or sour cream for accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Combine apples, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in a saucepan and cook for about 15 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt 1/4 cup butter in the oven in a 9-round cake pan. Remove pan from oven and carefully swirl melted butter to coat all sides. Pour in the apple mixture.
- Beat the eggs, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, 2 tablespoons melted butter, vanilla and nutmeg until well mixed.
- Pour egg mixture over the apples bake for 15 minutes at 425°F (220°C); reduce heat to 350°F (175°C) and cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown on top. Serve immediately. Slice and serve with maple syrup and a dollop of whipped cream or sour cream, if desired.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.