Baked Banana-Stuffed French Toast with Streusel
Treat your family and guests to this very special breakfast or brunch dish.
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 firm, ripe bananas, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
1 loaf unsliced sourdough, cut into 8 slices about 1-inch thick
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 1/2 cups milk
6 large eggs
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Maple syrup for accompaniment
- Melt first four stuffing ingredients in a large sauté pan. Simmer on low heat for a few minutes. Add bananas and sauté for 5 more minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool.
- Using a small paring knife, cut a slit into one side of the bread to make a pocket - don't go through the other 3 sides of the bread. Repeat with the remaining bread slices. Use a teaspoon to stuff the banana mixture into the bread pockets. Set aside.
- Combine the topping ingredients until crumbly; place in another large shallow bowl.
- Combine the batter ingredients together and beat well. Pour into a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Arrange the stuffed bread slices in the batter and let soak for 10 minutes. Turn and soak for 10 more minutes.
- Generously grease another 15x10x1-inch baking pan (or set stuffed bread slices onto a sheet of waxed paper, wash and dry baking pan and then grease).
- Dip one side of each stuffed bread into the sliced almonds and place almond side up on the greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining slices. Sprinkle any remaining almonds over the 8 slices. Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the 8 slices.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F (205°C) oven for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with maple syrup.
Makes 8 servings.