Baked Eggs with Canadian Bacon, Tomato and Potatoes
A delicious and hearty way to start your morning is with this baked egg dish, practically a complete country breakfast. Serve with whole grain toast and juice.
1 (6-ounce) package Canadian-style bacon*, chopped
Butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray
1 cup cooked red potato cubes
1 small plum tomato, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
4 large eggs
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 tablespoons half-and-half (light cream)
4 tablespoons Swiss cheese, or Gruyere or white cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Coat inside of four 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups/ramekins with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine Canadian bacon, potatoes, tomato and chives in a medium bowl. Spoon mixture evenly in ramekins.
- Break 1 egg into each ramekin on top of the Canadian bacon mixture. Sprinkle with pepper. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of half-and-half over each egg. Place ramekins on baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until egg whites are opaque and yolks have firm edges but soft in centers. Remove from oven.
- If desired, sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cheese. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
*Or 1 cup chopped ham.
Tip: For a Southwest twist, toss the Canadian bacon mixture with 1/2 teaspoon chili powder before spooning it into the ramekins.
Adapted recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.